Saturday, September 20, 2008

Front Fork Studs and Oil


Unless I find anything weird as I'm taking them apart, my intention with the front forks is simply to change the fork oil, clean everything and be done. A great reference for these steps is Duane Ausherman's article.

One interesting thing to note (see photo): as I was dismantling the brackets that hold the front fender in place, two out of the four threaded studs came out with the nuts I was loosening. Some of the stud mounting holes lead directly through to the inside of the fork tube, and when I removed them, oil leaked out. Kind of freaked me out and, in hindsight, I would put the studs back in, even if loosely for now. I ended up simply placing two coffee cans at the bottom of my propped up front fork/wheel assembly and letting some of the oil drain until I properly drained the bulk of it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment